Selling your house is something you’ll likely only have to do maybe just a few times in your life. And unless you know a local Wichita real estate agent who will sell your house for free or a hugely discounted commission, it can be a real pain in the rear and an expensive process for you as well.
So, you landed on this page about “How to sell your house by yourself in Wichita KS” because of a few likely reasons:
- You have no or very little equity in your house, so you can’t afford to pay a real estate agent’s commissions.
- You have equity but want to try to save money selling the house yourself before you resort to hiring an agent.
- You’re in foreclosure (or heading that way) and need to sell fast without incurring thousands in agent commissions.
- You can’t wait the months and months it sometimes takes to sell a house in the Wichita area in this market, so you want to try to sell it more quickly.
Whatever one you land in, there are ways to sell your house yourself here in the local Wichita real estate market.
Since 2013, the housing sector has been experiencing a significant recovery. Selling your house at this time will definitely be profitable if you do it right. In most cases, it is about using innovative marketing strategies and being realistic about your expectations on what you want to achieve with this sale.
This article will provide some guidelines to help you sell your Wichita area house yourself.
How To Sell Your House By Yourself In Wichita KS – Let’s Dive In
Know The Wichita Real Estate Market Well
The first and most important step is market research on your neighborhood in the Wichita, Kansas, area. This step involves visiting various home marketing sites (Zillow, Eppraisal the Chase home value estimator, etc.), calling a real estate agent or two to see what your home is worth, or reading about the various market pricing techniques. Proper homework on these issues will allow you to come up with the right price for your house and also help you to avoid making certain selling mistakes.
If you don’t want to hassle with trying to come up with a home value yourself, give us a call at 316-854-1050 and we’ll give you an honest, fair valuation of what your house is worth on the retail market (if you’re going to wait the 3-6+ months to find the perfect retail buyer). And if you want to, we’ll make you a fair all-cash offer on your house to give you that option of selling quickly (we can close in as little as 7 days if you want to).
Assess the market
This step is almost similar to conducting market research, only that in this case, you are bound to your neighborhood and similar houses. Are there lots of homes for sale in your area here in Wichita? If so, what is the average price that they are listing? Are there lots of foreclosures in your neighborhood? That may drag your house price down.
Assess the house
As a seller, your house should be in top condition or shape so it may sell at a top-market price. Identify specific unique characteristics about it and emphasize them during the marketing. For example, a house with driveway parking may be more attractive to buyers than garage parking in Wichita.
Also, does your house require repairs? Does it need to be repainted inside or out? How is the condition of the roof? Is the landscaping in good shape? Is the house outdated at all (You know, those popcorn ceilings that aren’t so popular anymore). These things can make the home more attractive or less attractive depending on the buyer and may change the price they’re willing to pay.
After all of this, come up with an asking price for your Wichita home that is fair and isn’t so high it’ll take you 12 months to sell the house but is attractive, so you get a frenzy of buyers who are ready to buy it quickly.
Use Photos or Videos
Wichita buyers are obsessed with media. Taking walk-through videos of the house and using the videos to advertise will enable you to reach a broader market. These videos are considered more transparent than taking photos. However, this should not stop you from using the latter option since it is more affordable than the video.
So take some great pictures. Consider taking a picture of every room in the house that helps show it off. Also, we recommend taking a picture of the house from the outside from a few different angles. People want to see the house before they ever show up to see it. So having great pictures of your house online could be the difference between getting the right buyer quickly and waiting months and months to sell.
Get Your House “Listed” On The Local Wichita MLS And Market It
You can find no or low-fee real estate brokers these days who will charge you a few hundred bucks to put your house on the local Wichita MLS. Doing this gets your home in front of all of the real estate agents quickly (so be prepared to pay those “buyers” agents a 2-3% buyers broker fee if you plan to have their support in helping you find a buyer.
Place ads in the local newspaper, place signs on the roads and hold an open house. Also, don’t underestimate the power of social media marketplaces.
All Of This Sound Like A Lot Of Work To Sell Your Wichita House Fast Yourself?
It can be.
And in the end, many Wichita house sellers think they’re saving money and time by marketing the house themselves when in the end, it costs them more money to go that route.
When you sell your own house, here are some things you need to consider:
- If you’re not a good marketer or aren’t ready to spend a bunch of time marketing your house the right way, selling it yourself may not be your best bet
- If you don’t do a good job preparing the house and the marketing materials and working with buyers to build the value of your house in their minds truly, you may end up selling the house for 3-8% less than you may get for the same home an experienced person marketed the house for you
- Too many sellers never think about holding costs or opportunity costs every month that your house doesn’t sell means another mortgage payment, tax payment, insurance, utilities, etc. If your mortgage payment is $1,500 per month and $1,300 of that is interest costs, if it takes you seven months to sell your house, that cost you an extra $9,100 (not to mention taxes and insurance you paid during that time). Something to think about, if you could sell that house more quickly, would it make sense for you to provide a buyer with a discounted price today so you can close quickly and move on?
If you’d instead not put up the hassle of trying to sell your Wichita house yourself and would rather sell it quickly for a fair price without paying any commissions or fees, then consider Kansas Home Guy’s home buyer service.
Why? Our company buys local Wichita KS houses all year long. We help put the home sellers in control by offering a fair, NO OBLIGATION and NO HASSLE cash offer on your house. There is no time required for your house to sit on the market. You don’t have to worry about marketing it. We can close quickly (in as little as 7 days if you wanted to), which would save you thousands of dollars vs. trying to sell the house yourself and waiting for months.
Also, when we buy local Wichita houses, we do all the needed repairs (we pay for it ourselves), so you don’t have to worry about that.
If you want to see what we can pay for your house, give us a call today at 316-665-6061 or fill out the quick, simple form through the link below.